|Lemon Juice Or Vinegar||1 Lemon or 2 teaspoon vinegar|
|Sugar||1 1/2 Cup|
Kheer Mohan is very popular sweet in Odisa and Gangapur in Jodhpur in India.
It is also popular in Bengal and Bihar. This delicious sweet is made from Chena (cottage cheese).
Kheer Mohan is advanced stage of rasgulla. Rasgulla is cooked further for long time to reach stage of kheer mohan.
Learn how to make Kheer Mohan –
- We will require 1 litre milk for this recipe to make Chena.
- Boil milk, switch off the flame and then squeeze some lemon juice in milk so that it starts curdling and forming chena. You can use vinegar also instead of lemon juice. Just make sure you dilute vinegar with double portion of water first and then use it.
- You will notice fat is separated from milk and water is aside. Strain the water out using strainer and cotton cloth. Hold the cloth from all corner such that chena remains in centre and squeeze out entire water from the chena.
- Now take chena in a large plate. With the help of your palm rub chena to get soft and smooth dough of chena. This will take approx 10-12 minutes to rub and knead the chena dough moving your hands upside down.
- Divide chena into equal parts and shape into round balls. From 1 litre milk I got 7 chena balls.
For Sugar Syrup –
- Take 1 1/2 cup sugar in large vessel and add 3 cups of water to it and allow it to boil. Use same cup for measuring sugar and water.
- Once syrup starts boiling add chena balls to it. Flame should be high.
- Cover and cook chena balls in syrup for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes reduce the flame to low and cook for another 15 minutes by covering.
- After 15 minutes flip rasgulla and cover again. Cook for another 20 minutes.
- You have cook rasgullas till it gets nice brown color by flipping and checking in between. To adjust the temperature of syrup add some water (2-3 tbps) in between whenever you feel syrup is getting thick and hot.
- Cheer mohan takes 2-3 hours to cook and get brownish color. For me it took 1.5 hours. Till the time you get good texture and color keep flipping rasgullas and adding some water in between when required.
- Kheer mohan mithai takes time but the end result is awesome. You will love the texture and taste of this mithai. Those who love eating sweets should definitely give it a try when you have time to cook and want to try something new.