|Urad Dal||1 Cup|
|Pressed Flatten Rice||1 Cup|
|Fenugreek Seeds||1 teaspoon|
|Salt||As Per Taste|
|Ginger Paste||1 teaspoon|
|Red Chilly Powder||1/4 teaspoon|
|Black Mustard||1/4 teaspoon|
|White Sesame Seeds||1/4 teaspoon|
|Cumin Seeds||1/4 teaspoon|
|Eno Fruit Salt||2 teaspoon|
|Oil||As per requirement|
|Water||As per requirement|
How To Make Gujarati White Dhokla (Idra / Idada):
- Take 1/2 cup spilt urad dal without skin in a vessel and 3 cups rice along with 1 cup pressed flatten rice and 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds in another vessel.
- Wash it properly and soak them with water for 6 to 7 hrs.
- After 6-7 hours grind them separately with the help of water. Grind dal separately first and then rice, pressed flatten rice (poha) and fenugreek seeds together.
- Mix both the batter together and allow it to ferment for 8 to 10 hours. In summer it ferments faster. Depending on how quickly it ferment you can use the batter.
- Once the batter ferment, add 1 teaspoon ginger paste and salt. Adding ginger paste is optional you can avoid if you want.
- Heat the steamer with water for steaming Idra on high flame. So in steamer you have to pour some water for boiling on high flame covering the lid so that you start getting enough steam for steaming white dhokla.
- By the time steamer is heating up with enough steam, grease a plate with oil.
- Put 2 tablespoon enough fruit salt (regular one not flavoured) in batter and mix.
- Pour the batter in greased plate quickly.
- Sprinkle some red chilly powder on it. If you love black pepper powder you can sprinkle that as well along with red chilly powder.
- Now open the steamer lid carefully with help of thick cloth or towel as it might be super hot.
- Reduce the flame for a second, place the greased plater with batter inside properly.
- Close the lid again and increase the flame to high.
- Again be careful while opening and closing the lid of steamer as it might be hot.
- Let Idada (White Dhokla) cook for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Switch of the flame. Open the lid and remove Idra from steamer.
- With the help of knife cut Idra into diamond shapes.
- Heat oil. Add 1/2 teaspoon black mustard, add 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds,1/2 teaspoon white sesame seeds, few curry leaves and pinch of asafoetida (hing).
- Once mustard seeds crack and it cook properly add the tadka to dhokla and spread it across.
Note – If you don’t have some if the mentioned ingredient for tadka you can have tadka with any of the tadka ingredients you have. Even if you only have black mustard that will do.
Serve Idra hot with your favourite chutney either pudina or garlic chutney or plain as it is. Its totally upto you have you like it.
Credits – Veena