|Raw Jackfruit (Kathal)||250 gms|
|Medium Size Onions||2|
|Ginger||One inch of|
|Cumin Seeds||A pinch of|
|Tomato Medium Size||1|
|Coriander powder||1 1/2 teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1/4 teaspoon|
|Kashmiri Chilly Powder||1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon|
|Garam Masala Powder||1/4 teaspoon|
|Kasuri Methi||1/2 teaspoon|
|Water||1 and 1/4 glass|
Raw jackfruit is rich in fiber and has fewer calories compared to wheat and rice. Raw jackfruit has antioxidants and is high in dietary fats that cleanse the toxins from the colon and prevent from colon cancer. Jackfruit seeds are good for skin. It can be soaked with milk and then grinded to a smooth paste and applied to skin to fight wrinkles.
Raw jackfruit is used in curry in various parts of India. It is used for making chips. Raw jackfruit seeds are also used in curry and eaten roasted or boiled as it is tasty and has many health benefits.
Raw Jackfruit Curry Recipe:
- Wash raw jackfruit (kacha kathal) with water, cut into two parts.
- Now put the jackfruit (kathal) in cooker along with water for boiling. Water level should be above the jackfruit.
- Close the cooker lid and let it boil for two whistles.
- Once the jackfruit (kathal) is boiled, remove it from cooker and keep aside to cool down for few mins.
- After cooling, cut the jackfruit into medium size pieces.
- Now marinade the jackfruit pieces with half teaspoon turmeric powder and pinch of salt.
- Take 10 small cloves of garlic, 2 cloves, 2 cardamon, inch of ginger, 1/2 bay leaf and grind it and keep aside.
- Now also grind one onion and keep aside.
- Chop 1 tomato and 1 onion and keep aside.
- Heat oil in pan for shallow frying marinaded raw boiled jackfruit pieces.
- Once oil is heated put jackfruit pieces one by one in the pan and shallow fry from both the sides. You don’t need to fry for long as it is already boiled just keep it for one minute and fry from both the sides.
- Once jackfruit pieces are fried remove it and keep in a plate.
For Curry (Sabji):
- In a pan heat 2 teaspoon oil.
- Add cumin seeds and 2 dry kashmiri chillies to it.
- Add grinded masala of garlic, ginger, cloves, cardamon, cumin and bay leaf in the pan and stir.
- After one minute add grinded onion paste to it and stir.
- Once masala is slightly cooked and the raw smell goes off add chopped tomato to it.
- Once chopped tomatoes are slightly cooked put 1 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder, 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder and 1/2 teaspoon kashmiri red chilly powder and stir.
- Add 1 1/4 glass water to the masala.
- Once it starts boiling, add salt as per taste and slowly add raw fried jackfruits to it.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon garam masala and 1/2 teaspoon kasuri methi to tge jackfruit gravy.
- Cover the lid for 5 mins and let it cook.
- Open the lid and check if you want thick gravy you can cover lid and allow to cook jackfruit gravy for more 5 mins else you jackfruit curry is ready to be served.
You can serve raw jackfruit curry (kathal ki sabji) with both rice and roti. I usually like it with rice.