|Oranges||2 Large and 1 Small|
|Milk||1 1/2 Cup|
|Milk Powder||1 1/2 Cup|
|Sugar||1 1/4 Cup|
|Coconut Powder||3/4 Cup|
|Orange Color (Optional)||Drop or Pinch of|
Orange barfi (burfee) is one of the popular dessert made in Nagpur. Nagpur is well known for its cultivation of nice pulpy juicy oranges (santra). Orange burfee in Nagpur is made with these lovely oranges along with milk, mawa (khoya), sugar and coconut powder. Instead of khoya milk powder can also be used in the recipe.
How To Make Orange Barfi:
- Peel 2 large size and 1 small orange and remove seeds from it. We require only the orange pulp so that our barfi doesn’t taste bitter.
- Heat a pan and put 1 tablespoon ghee in it.
- Now put coconut powder and fry till slight brown.
- Remove coconut powder and keep aside.
- Now again put 1 tablespoon ghee and once it melt add 1 1/2 tea cup milk.
- Stir milk for a minute and then add 1 1/2 tea cup milk powder and keep stiring for a minute.
- Put 1 1/4 tea cup sugar and stir continously till it starts becoming thick.
- Now add orange pulp without seeds and skin. Stir and cook till the mixture becomes more thick.
- Add coconut powder at this stage and mix.
- I am not using food color here. I generally don’t prefer using it more. But if you want orange color for your barfies you can add pinch or drop of orange food color in it and mix.
- Stir continously and cook till you get thick consistency.
- Quickly grease the plate or tray with ghee or oil.
- Pour the barfi batter (mixture) in the plate or tray. Spread with the back of spoon and let it cook down completely.
- Once it cools down. Cut it into square pieces. Orange barfi (burfee) is ready.