|Black Gram (Urad Dal)||1 Small Glass|
|Rice||1 Small Glass|
|Salt||As Per Taste|
|Water||As Per Requirement|
Idli is famous South Indian food. Idli is stomach filling and healthy breakfast. It is made with rice, black gram, semolina, flattened rice (poha), fenugreek seeds, etc. In south people use par boiled rice for making idlies instead of raw rice. Par boiled is good for digestion and more healthy compared to raw rice.
Coconut chutney, tomato chutney and sambhar is served with steamed idlies.
How To Make Batter For Idlies:
- Clean, wash and soak 1 small glass black gram (urad dal) and 2 small glass rice separately. Generally people use Ratio of 1:4 but I am using ratio of 1:2 which will turn idlies more tasty.
- Now grind urad dal into smooth paste with help of some water.
Simillarly grind rice into smooth paste.
- Mix both rice and urad dal paste along with salt.
- Batter should not be too thick nor too thin. It should be of thick pourable consistency. If required add little water and mix to get right consistency but see to it that batter doesn’t become too thin it should be medium.
- Cover the batter and allow it to rest overnight so that it gets fermented.
- Next day remove the cover from batter. You will notice batter is fermented and has little sour smell.
- Mix the batter with the help of spoon.
How To Steam Idli:
- Pour some water in steamer and heat it for 5-10 minutes.
- By the time grease idli moulds with oil and fill the batter in each mould.
- Our steamer is heated and ready.
- Place idli plates one above other.
- Cover the lid and allow it to steam for 5 minutes on medium or high flame.
- Remove the cover and you will see idlies will rise with fluffy texture. If not cover and keep for few more minutes. Usually it will take 5-10 minutes.
- Switch off the flame, remove the cover carefully as it is hot and remove idly plates.
- With the help of your knife remove soft and fluffy idlies in a plate.
- If you have more batter left repeat the process.
- Coconut chutney and sambhar are served with idlies.