Ingredients For Dahi Vada
|Black Urad Dal||150 gms|
|Curd||Of 500 litre Milk|
|Roasted Cumin Powder||1 Teaspoon Plus Little To Sprinkle On Top|
|Black Salt (Kala Namak)||1 Tablespoon Plus Little Extra To Sprinkle|
|Red Chilly Powder||1/2 Teaspoon Plus Little Extra To Sprinkle|
|Black Pepper Powder||1 Tablespoon Plus Little Extra To Sprinkle On Top|
|Oil||For Frying Vadas|
Dahi Vada is popular food in India, known for its taste. It’s very simple to prepare with ingredients that are easily available in our kitchen. Vadas are made with black dal batter, deep fried in oil, soaked in water and then dipped into sweet and sour a bit spicy yogurt. Mouth watering recipe. Dahi vadas are called dahi Bhalla in Delhi and it is one of the popular dish of Delhi like Mumbai is known for its Vada Pav and South India has Idli, Dosa and Sambhar.
How To Make Dahi Vada (Bhalla):
- Soak 150 gms black dal (urad dal) overnight in water.
- Next day morning rinse the dal properly with water.
- Grind the black (urad) dal in grinder with very little water into smooth paste. Add very little water approx 3-4 tablespoon not much.
- Remove dal batter in vessel and keep aside.
- Now finely chop 2-3 green chillies and small piece of ginger. Put chopped green chillies and ginger in the grinded urad dal batter and mix properly.
- Now heat oil in a pan or kadhai or wok.
- As soon as oil becomes medium hot apply water to your hand. With wet hand take small portion of dal batter and shape small round balls in the oil one by one. If your hand is wet it becomes easier to shape urad dal vadas as the urad dal batter is very sticky.
- You can also use spoon, take small portion of batter and put it in oil.
Fry the vadas from both the sides. It does not take much time to cook vadas and we don’t want our vadas to get dark golden brown color we just want our vadas to cook properly from both the sides with light color.
- Remove vadas and soak it in water for 15-20 minutes.
- By the time vadas are soaked we can prepare our dahi (curd) for dahi vadas.
- Take curd in a vessel and mix.
Put some salt, 2 tablespoon sugar and mix again.
- Now add 1 teaspoon roasted cumin powder, 1 tablespoon black pepper powder, 1/2 teaspoon red chilly powder and 1 tablespoon black salt.
- Mix everything properly and put the curd in refrigerator for 10-15 minutes till our vadas are soaked.
- Dahi vadas taste good when chilled.
Now remove excess water from soaked vadas by slightly pressing it and keep aside in serving bowl.
- Take out chilled curd (dahi) from refrigerator and pour it on vadas.
- Sprinkle some black salt powder, some black pepper powder, some roasted cumin powder and some red chilly powder.
- Dahi vadas are ready to be served. You can also keep dahi vadas in refrigerator and have it later if you want.
- You can also add some tamarind chutney while serving dahi vadas. I like it simple the way I told you so do try at home very simple recipe and let me know how it was?